Apply for a Marriage License
An application form is available at the Local Registrar’s office or one can be downloaded near the bottom of this page.
You must make an appointment to complete the application at your local Registrar’s Office. In Cedar Grove, please call Dee Riou (973) 239-1410 ext 224. Hours for appointments are M-F 9:00 am -4:00 pm.
Do not sign the marriage / civil union application form before going to the local Registrar. You must sign the application, while under oath, in the presence of the issuing authority.
Where to Apply
- The application can be submitted in the municipality where either partner lives.
- If neither is a New Jersey resident, submit the application in the municipality where the marriage will be performed.
What you should bring with you when you apply for a marriage/civil union license:
- If you are divorced, have had a civil union terminated, a marriage or civil union annulled, or domestic partnership terminated please bring the appropriate documents.
- For Re-Marriages/Re-Affirmations, please bring proof of original marriage/civil union. Re-Marriage/Re-affirmations licenses can be issued next day.
- If your former spouse/partner is deceased, please bring the death certificate.
- Driver’s license (address should match your current residence), passport or state I.D.
- Two proofs of your residency for a passport
- Know your social security number. Your social security number is required by law and will be kept confidential.
- The application requires the birth names of both parents and their place of birth, please be sure to check your birth certificate.
- The date and municipality the ceremony is to be performed in, as well as the name, address and phone number of the individual performing the ceremony.
- If you are using a nontraditional officiant, pleas ask for a certificate authorizing them to perform Marriage Ceremonies.
- A witness (18 years or older) who knows both the male and female applicants.
- Fee of $28.00 – Cash or Check payable to “Township of Cedar Grove”
Any documents in a foreign language must be accompanied by a certified English translation.
After you Apply
There is a 72-hour waiting period before the license is issued. The waiting period begins when the application is filed with the Local Registrar.
The marriage/civil union license is valid for 30 days from the date of issue. The 30 days begins when the license is signed by the registrar and accepted by the couple. The marriage/civil union application is valid for six months from the date accepted, unless the Registrar has given prior approval to extend the validity of the application to a maximum of one year.
Only one license may be granted from a marriage/civil union application. If the license expires before being used, a new application must be made.
The only exception to this requirement is in the case where a civil and religious ceremony are to be performed on the same day. In this case, the Local Registrar will photocopy the marriage/ civil union application, marking one “A” and one “B”, and issue the corresponding licenses, marking them “A” and “B” as well. One copy will be used for the religious ceremony and the other for the civil ceremony.
If you have any questions or wish to set up an appointment, please call Dee Riou (973)239-1410 ext 224.
Municipal Registrar Documents
List of Municipal Registrars in New Jersey
State of New Jersey Vital Statistics & Registry